PEI Nature Tracker
What is Nature Tracker?
PEI Nature Tracker is a mobile app and website that was developed by staff at Kensington North Watersheds Association. Nature Tracker collects plant and wildlife sightings from application users. The data is PEI-specific and is managed on PEI.
Who can use Nature Tracker?
Anyone can use Nature Tracker! The Nature Tracker mobile app is available for Apple and Android devices. If you do not have a mobile device, you can use the Nature Tracker website to submit and browse sightings. Just visit www.peinaturetracker.ca and click Register (top right corner).
How do you use Nature Tracker?
- Go to www.peinaturetracker.ca and register an account
- If you plan to use Nature Tracker on a mobile device, you will need to download it from Google Play or your mobile device’s app store
- Begin adding sightings! Sightings can be added via the mobile app or on the Nature Tracker website. Sighting details and photos can also be submitted.
Tips for using Nature Tracker
- The privacy of a sighting can be changed on the submission page. A sighting can be open for anyone to see, obscured so the location is not shown but other details are displayed, or private and visible only to site administrators
- If you are not sure of a species ID, ask for help! There is a “Need help with ID?” button that you can check on the sighting submission page
- You can help others with identification by adding a comment at the bottom of a sighting page
- For more tips, visit the “About” tab on the PEI Nature Tracker website
When should you use Nature Tracker?
Users are encouraged to use Nature Tracker any time they are outdoors! Sightings of rare plant or wildlife species, and invasive species are especially encouraged.
To see checklists of species that are of particular interest to Provincial biologists and conservation groups, visit the “Checklists” page on the Nature Tracker website. For more information on invasive species in PEI, check out the PEIISC’s priority list of invasive species and the many factsheets available.
Need more information?
Contact a Nature Tracker administrator
Watch a video on how the PEI Nature Tracker works here
Take a look at a slideshow prepared by Kensington North Watersheds Association here
Thank you to our funding partners: